Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mystery Hill of Scotland County

Sit down and I will tell you a tale of a mystery that to this day looms right here in my hometown. There are those who try to say it didn't happen. That it is just the earth's magnetic pull. Whatever the truth is, doesn't really matter. What matters is that I have experienced it for myself.

There are two versions of the story. And I will try to recant both here for you. And you can decide for yourself if you believe it or not.

The first story takes place around the turn of the century. It was right after the first motor vehicles were sold here. The story goes that two young lovers were out for a drive. They were heading for what was then called lovers lane.

For some unknown reason, the young woman winds up walking away from the car. There are those who say they had a spat, others say she was just exploring the area, while he worked on the car. For whatever reason, she was out of the car.

The car broke loose from the young man, and rolled down the hill, running over the young woman. The young woman died there. Grief stricken the young man, gets in and drives the car back up the hill. Turns around, and speeds up to a high rate of speed. Drives down the hill and into a tree. Wrecking the car and killing himself.

The second story goes like this. It was 1940 four young sailors here visiting from Wilmington. They went out riding and came upon this hill. Their vehicle got a flat tire and they lost control of the car. The car went speeding down the hill and into a tree. All four young sailors were killed.

Now what makes this hill a part of a mystery was not these two incidents of death. It is what happens when you approach the bottom of the hill. Now the reason I know what I am about to tell you happens, happened, is because I have done it myself.

When a car approaches the bottom of the hill and is stopped. If you put your car into neutral, the car will be pulled back up the hill, backwards. Now there are those who say it is the young woman, trying to stop her lover from killing himself, and others say it is the four sailors saving unfortunate drivers from their deaths.

Whatever is the truth, I don't know. I am more inclined to believe those who say it is the earth's magnetic pull. But for the sake of Halloween, well, you decide which way you want to believe.........

2 comments:

  1. It is Super Natural. I have never heard of earths magnetic pull causing an object to go up a hill. Physics wise it is not possible.

    If I were you I would stay off that hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. photogr it has been a very long time since I was down there. I took my husband there once, he didn't even know about it. And he has lived here all his life too.

    ReplyDelete